April 15, 2012

Zupas Tomato Basil Soup Recipe & Tutorial


Zupas Tomato Basil Soup!
If you have some time and are dying to eat Zupas Tomato Basil Soup for a week, here ya go.
I love this soup at Zupas and I found the recipe (I’ve been informed that it is, in fact, not the EXACT recipe, but I think it tastes exactly like it and so I, in fact, don’t care.)
It actually took a lot longer than I expected, but if you want to save money and make way more soup than you would get at Zupas, then go for it! But just know you have been warned that it takes a little bit of time, like as much as it would take to make home made rolls. Both are amazing though, so maybe it is worth the time :) And if there are only two of you, you have also been warned that I had this soup probably six times before it was gone, haha.
But it was good and worth it and I would love to eat it six times, 
so here it is!

 Ingredients:
4 lb tomatoes, halved lengthwise (apparently plum tomatoes make the flavor even better, but I use normal tomatoes and it works perfect)
6-8 garlic cloves, left unpeeled
3 tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh oregano, minced (only ½ tsp if using dried)
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced (only 1 tsp if using dried)
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
¾ cup heavy cream

Directions:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 350.
Cut all stems off tomatoes, and cut in half lengthwise.
Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in one layer on a large shallow baking pan and add garlic to the pan.
Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in oven for 1 hour, then cool in pan on rack.
 While that is cooling, cook onion, oregano, basil, and sugar in butter in a 6-8 qt pot over moderately low, stirring frequently, until onion is softened (about 5 min).
Peel garlic (should squeeze right out)
Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer covered for 20 min.
Puree soup in batches in a blender (be careful with the hot soup!)
then force through a sieve and into a clean pot or bowl. I put all the unblended soup into a bowl, and then put the blended and strained soup into the same pot
Please forgive my lovely kitchen... :)
Stir in cream, and salt & pepper to taste (you need hardly any, if at all)
Simmer 2 min.
Also, Zupas adds in orzo pasta, so I made some of that too for the full effect!
I found it at Winco in the bulk section, but you don’t need to add this if you don’t want to!
 We had these with grilled cheese sandwiches, and it was AMAZING. So yummy!!! Let me know if you try it!

PS If you're interested in more restaurant recipes, you may wanna check out this book with tons of recipes from good restaurants like California Pizza Kitchen, Olive Garden, Applebees, etc!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures with the directions. Super helpful to those who are visual learners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! You are welcome, I totally agree that pictures make it so much easier!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this delicious recipe......Super Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  3. I made this on Saturday, ate the leftovers on Sunday, and my husband asked for it again on Monday! I added more garlic and used fresh basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear it! I know- I don't blame him! You just can't stop eating it!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this recipe. I love this soup! Can't wait to make it at home! (PS- I found it through pinterest)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I can't wait for you to try it! Good luck! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to give it a go! Also, I love your blog! Its beautiful and you have a great writing style. I put you on my favorites list. I want to give you the Liebster Award! You can head on over to my blog, funandfancyfoods.blogspot.com to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - This is So sweet!!! Thank you so much! I will be doing your challenge, I just need to find blogs I want to nominate now! I just added you to my favorites list as well :) I can't wait for you to try the tomato basil soup! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing! This is tasty! I'm going to take it up to my grandma's house and we will have a nice lunch together!

    I couldn't quite get it to thicken up like Zupas, any ideas?

    I added feta for a Zupas add-in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the soup!! I love it too. When I've made it, it's been as thick as Zupas, so I'm not really sure to be honest! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete