October 19, 2012

How to Price Match at Walmart

Price Matching: A few months ago this meant nothing to me. 
Now, this is something I have learned about and now can't not do! 
I have figured out that a lot of people know that Walmart price matches, but don't know what that means or how to do it.

SO... For those of you that might fall into that category... 
Welcome to the world of price matching! I will tell you all about... 
Here are all the tips of what helps me, all in plain simple English, not complicated at all.
I am in a Public Speaking class right now and we had to do an informative speech. I decided to do mine on How to Price Match at Walmart! No one in my class knew what it is, and being college students, they were all shocked at how easy it is and at how much money you can save. We had to video the speech to analyze it, and so I realized I could just post it on here for you all to see if you want a brief summary of everything, and if you feel like judging my speaking skills - haha kidding. 
So if you want a brief overview of price matching and a specific example of one "price matching grocery trip," watch here! 
  You can't really see it that well in the video, but I had two big bowls of oranges and gave each student an orange after my speech (I could because I only paid $3 for all of them!)
Basically... Walmart will match the price of any competitor (pretty much any other store) for a specific item. So, for example, if Walmart has an item and you know that same item is at another store or in another stores ad for cheaper, Walmart will match that price, so you can get that item at Walmart for the other store's cheaper price. 
click HERE to read their policy really quick so you know what you can and can't do. It's pretty simple. 
So the first step is going through ads. You've all seen these... 
(These are from my favorite stores to price match: Rancho Market & Buy Low - for those of you here in Provo, or where ever else those stores are!)
When you price match at Walmart, you don't have to have the ad with you. And since most stores put their ads up online, this makes it really easy for us! I just google "rancho market ad" or "buy low ad" and then go through them, writing down a list of things I would possibly want to buy and the advertised price.
This might seem like it would take forever, and when you're first starting it does take a little more time as you get used to it, but after you do it a few times, you get really quick at it. Going through the ads and making a list usually takes me about 10 minutes or less.
  (Side note: I'm all about putting everything in my phone. I put reminders for everything, lists for everything, and anything else in my phone. BUT... This is one thing that I prefer to actually write down with a pen in a little notebook - i know, so last century! But it just seems easier for me.)
So after you have a nice compiled list, time to go grocery shopping! 
Just do everything like you normally would. I do the cold stuff last, but that can probably go without saying. I also like to keep my cart organized as I go - I put the items I'm not price matching on one half of the cart and the items I am price matching on the other half. This just makes it easier when you check out. 
The first time I went "Price Matching," I was a little disappointed that Walmart's receipts don't tell you how much you saved at the bottom. Since saving money is kind of the point of price matching, something I would suggest you do if you want to see how much you save is write down the regular cost of the item you are price matching. For example, you will have on your list
Plums  2 lbs/$.99
Then when I pick up the avocados I would just quickly write next to that:
Plums  2 lbs/$.99              1 lb/$1.38
  (the advertised price)    (Walmart's price)
That way you can figure out later how much you saved (more on that later)
(Side note: Some of you may think that you would feel dumb having a notebook in the store and writing in it as you shop. Well, I felt that way too. And then I realized, oh wait, I don't care if you random person see me writing a number on a piece of paper. I have never seen you before in my life and will probably never see you again, so I don't care. I am saving money and you are not. So watch me write my numbers all you want. :)  )
When you have everything you need you are ready to check out. 
Now... this part might sound discriminatory. 
And it is. Sorry.
But when the cashier helps you to price match, they are usually really fast at it and can do it just about as fast as you would normally check out. But sometimes they have to do quick calculations on a calculator and have to push just a couple extra buttons. And if you get in Mr. Old Man's line, he is probably going to take a lot longer, and the people behind you will get annoyed and you will kind of be embarrassed. So you kind of want to pick out someone that looks like they would be fast and know what they're doing. Like someone young. Or someone that just looks like they know what they're doing. And then it takes hardly any extra time.
Alrighty then, moving on.
When you get to checking out, I put all my stuff I'm not price matching at the beginning and the items I am price matching at the end. Then tell the cashier that you will be price matching today, but not until you get to this point (and point to where your price matching items begin). Then they know they can scan all the beginning stuff just like normal, and that gives you time to get everything else up on the conveyor belt.
 When they get to the items you are price matching they will ask you, "bananas?" and you tell them the advertised price you found. That's it. See how easy?
 Now... this is important... 
Because Walmart doesn't make you have the ad with you, and they basically just put in what you tell them, there is room to bend the truth and there are ways to be dishonest. BUT JUST DON'T!! Be honest. In case you needed reminding... 
A lot of times they are up on the current price-matching prices and will know if you are being dishonest or not. Also, they have all the competitor's ads right there and can double check on anything you tell them if they feel the need. They usually won't ask what store that price is from, but just be sure you have it down on your list so you can tell them if they need to double check.
When you get home, you can see how much you saved!! 
This is my favorite part. 
All you do is take your receipt, and write Walmart's regular price next to each item (what you would have paid if you didn't price match). Then you can add up how much you would have paid regularly, and then add up how much you ended up spending. Then you can see the difference! 
This is from a time I went grocery shopping for the two of us just like normal. I price matched a lot of things and was so happy to find out I saved $42.30!
Some of my favorites from this purchase were:
Grapefruits - I paid $.80 instead of $4.56 (82% savings)
Ocean Spray Juice - I paid $1.79 each instead of $3.29 each (45% savings)
97% Ground Beef (Fun fact. I HATE fatty ground beef.) - I paid $1.99/roll instead of $4.38/roll (55% savings on dang quality meat!)

 This is when I bought 20 oranges for my class presentation to show my teacher my visual aid, and then got some other produce items I needed. I would have spent $25.70, but because I price matched I spent $6.49, which is 75% savings!!
 This is from the 2nd week I bought 20 oranges for my class presentation (the first week we just had to show her our visual aid, and then the next week we had to actually give our presentation) and some other produce items I needed. I would have spent $26.95, but because I price matched I spent $8.04, which is about 70% savings!! The oranges alone would have cost $14.80, but instead I got them all for $3.00 (80% savings).

The list goes on and on. I wish I would have done this for every receipt I've price matched.
But as you can see, price matching really does save you money on things you are going to buy anyways, and to my great surprise, 
it is SO easy!!! 
Sometimes you may think it's not worth saving just a few dollars, but as you have seen here, those dollars add up! So go out and save yourself some money, and price match! I love it because if I save $40, that is $40 worth of clothes I could go buy! (Or Trent would say I could just keep the $40! haha) Or a fun date night! Or some new shoes!
I think price matching at Walmart is the best kept secret around! And now the secret is out! :)

Well that's enough on price matching for today. Maybe I'll post "good-save trips" in the future, so keep your eye on me! If you have any questions let me know! And if any of you have any good price matching stories after you try this, you have to let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment