June 29, 2011

Funny Little Tidbit


So I decided to take an art class winter semester, which was a bad idea in the first place because of how much time that class alone took. My teacher expected us to sketch in our little sketchbooks for 15 minutes a day, plus do a gallery visit and draw something every week, go buy random supplies all the time, plus read in our most BORING book for a quiz, plus do some exercises, plus do our assignments and projects.

And then six weeks into the semester we got engaged! So it was an extra bad idea. I don't know about you, but for me, I don't have like all day to work on art. So thanks but no thanks. Actually it's fine, I didn't want to have a life anyways. Or a wedding to plan. Or other classes. Or a fiancee.

The thing that was nice about it though was that he didn't have a due date for anything, so naturally that's just asking me to procrastinate it all to the last minute things are due. And of course when is everything due? The day before my reception in the middle of finals week? Oh okay wonderful.

So the weekend before all the havoc, I still had literally five projects to do.

And the annoying thing with art classes is that you can't just hurry and BS an assignment 10 minutes before class, you actually have to break out the art materials and do the assignment that takes oh soo long. Cause you can definitely tell if you rush through it. (Lazy? No. But motivated? No.)

Anyways, one of my projects that was due had to be what they call conceptual art, which means when you see it you have no idea what it means, but there is a deeper meaning behind it. So like if there was a giant stack of newspapers, you wouldn't know what it meant, until they explain to you that there are 365 of them and each one symbolizes one day of the year...?

So the night before it's due, I am thinking of ideas. I asked Trent if he had any ideas of something totally random that would look like it had a deep meaning and he goes, “Like a microwave sitting in the middle of a desert?” Haha!
SO... That is how this came about....



And don't even worry... I came up with a GREAT story behind it. (Something about how my dream is to go to Africa, hence the desert and the elephant, but also love the beach, hence the palm tree, but if you aren't “plugged in” to your dream, it won't get “cookin'.” Haha.)

And out of all 5 projects I turned in that day, that one was his favorite. Go figure!

Another project I hired out to my little brother (Shh... I'm telling you, I was busy!) So thanks Jeremy! My teacher thought I did a great job, haha.

And the other 3 projects? Who knows. I don't remember what they even were at the moment. I'm sure they were just wonderful though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment